Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Closer to 30!

Mark's 26th birthday was yesterday and that means he is closer to 30 than 20...just like me! Although I am a couple of years even closer!
Tuesdays are a very busy day for me at work and since I knew this, we decided to celebrate his birthday for a few different days. While we were at my parent's house, we had a little party. (Of course I forgot to take pictures!) My sister Alicia made a two layer chocolate chip yellow cake with homemade chocolate frosting for dessert and for dinner made sticky pork and fried rice per Mark's request. So good! We then sang and I gave Mark one of his gifts. I sent his high school baseball glove to a professional to get "the works" done on it: re-oiled, re-strung, new hardware clasps, everything. He was speechless. I was pretty excited about this gift! He kept smelling it and saying "It looks brand new!" I think I got a few awesome wife points with that one! I didn't take a picture that night but I took one last night.

So then yesterday he slept in an hour and got to show up late to work, I made him breakfast, then made sure to wish him Happy Birthday a million times throughout the day on google chat, texts and facebook. He got a lot of calls and messages wishing him happy birthday which he really enjoyed. He got movie tickets from work and then won a Chili's gift certificate and a very nice gift certificate to a local bookstore from a drawing his work does at the beginning of each month. Lucky day!
I had my crazy day of work so in between resident issues and meetings Shortstop and I picked up some balloons from the Creamery. I love random balloons so that is what he got. He knew it was his birthday, no need to have a balloon say it!
When he got home from work we had his favorite dinner, Chicken Taco Rice, and he opened Shortstop's present.
BYU football is a big part of our lives so when I saw this framed picture of Lavell Edwards stadium at sunset in the bookstore I had to get it; of course it was really Shortstop's idea. You might not be able to tell but it is a real photo made to look like a canvas painting. Really neat.
Because my sister made him a cake Saturday he said he just wanted cupcakes from our favorite cupcake place, The Cocoa Bean. I ran out and got him a Snickerdoodle one and me a Grasshopper. He blew out the candles and opened his other gifts.

Arrested Development Series from me and Pinky and the Brain/ Animaniacs from his parents. I also got him post notes that say "Don't forget to" and then you can write in stuff. On the bottom it says "Likelihood of actually remembering" and there is a 1-5 scale. Mark is a bit forgetful so I had to get this as a joke...but maybe it will help. :)
We called his mom to thank her for the gift and had her tell the story about the day he was born. We put her on speakerphone so Shortstop could hear. :) It is a great story and very spiritual. My in-laws are awesome!
I had to go to another meeting for an hour after Shortstop was in bed but when I came home I told Mark we could watch a movie or read out loud or whatever he wanted. He chose Halo Reach and I had to play with him. Birthday wishes come but once a year so I complied. I was awful but we had fun. Then I read Mockingjay out loud to him while scratching his back (his favorite thing ever!) and his birthday was over. But it sure was fun!

Happy birthday sweetheart! I love my 26 year old!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Great gifts! Scored a bunch of wife points I'm sure!

Carol said...

Great post for an "old" man.