
What a wonderful Christmas vacation we had this year! I am so lucky to have such a wonderful husband and son and so many family members to spend this time of year with. I am so grateful for this season and the message of the Savior and family in everyone's hearts.
Christmas Eve was great. We had our traditional dinner of clam chowder and a cheese plate and of course the reading from Luke 2. We had so many kids here for the evening that Alicia set up a live interpretation. Of course Shortstop was our little baby Jesus.

He was so cooperative and sat in "swaddling" clothes (a pillow case) and the manger (a laundry basket) the entire time. Tyler, my brother-in-law, was the reader. He would read, the kids would try and act out their parts and then we would all sing some songs to correlate with the scriptures. Tyler even sang a beautiful solo for everyone.

As you can see, Shortstop was mesmerized by his singing.

How cute are all those kids!

After a little while, the angel attacked Mary and then it was an all out wrestling match.

We headed back upstairs for the opening of grandkid pjs and secret sibling gifts.


Every year since I can remember we have chosen names out of a hat and done a secret sibling gift that is opened on Christmas Eve. We were able to skype with a couple of sisters to try and include everyone (missed you Melanie!) We also had mom and dad open their gift from all the kids. We gave them the gift of time...some activity that my parents could do with each family this next year. Mark and I gave them tickets to either a BYU baseball, basketball or football game to go with us and then out to dinner. They loved it!
Christmas morning was wonderful! So much excitement and happy faces. Shortstop was perfect. Everyone told me to prepare for fussiness and crying. None of that happened. He was happy, relaxed and loved opening presents.


Look at my cute boys! So tired!


We all got spoiled this year! Mark got a pair of PF Flyers...to make him run faster and jump higher. He was SOOO excited.

I had to get Shortstop a pair of similar converse shoes to match.


But really, we each were very blessed and we each loved our gifts from families and each other. I even have a "Mom" mug from my little boy and a beautiful Willow statue of a couple holding their new baby. You bet I cried on Christmas!
That evening Shortstop woke up crying and having a hard time breathing. He was coughing pretty hard and it was a deep barking cough, most likely croup. Oh man was I nervous! But my mom and Alicia helped me decide what to do. (So glad I could be home for this.) We turned on the hot shower for steam and then sat outside with him in the cold air, per doctor's orders. It helped a bit but it was a very long night! Thank goodness it went away soon. He still has a runny nose and raspy voice but is sleeping pretty well and is not coughing as bad as that first night. This video is from the next night but I had to get his raspy voice recorded. I cut it short because at the end when he says "da da da" Mark came in the room and said "I'm here buddy!" Mark loves his little guy and gets so sad when Shortstop struggles.
Mark was able to fly home for a few days to attend his best friend's wedding reception. I am so sad I could not make it but beyond grateful Mark could be there. He caught up with old friends, played Urban golf (a game he and his buddies invented), spent time with his family and just enjoyed being home. Pretty sure his mom loved having him there too! Shortstop and I were jealous but are glad we get to go up there in two weeks. We even skyped a few times which helped us feel better about not having him with us. When Mark came home he had more fun Christmas presents from his family even though they had already spoiled us. It included Christmas pjs!
We love pajamas and as my mother-in-law says "It is never too early in the day for pjs."

The rest of the week was spent eating, sleeping, watching new movies, relaxing and playing with Christmas toys.

This included some awesome big books from Grandma and Grandpa Elkington. Mark read to Shortstop and of course had other little kids climb on his lap to enjoy the book.

Next up...New Year's!
2 comments:
Such a sweet post and I am so glad we got to spend Christmas with you. Thanks for letting me blog steal that picture of Tyler. What a cute family and we will miss you so much!!!! In fact, how about you don't leave. Hmmmm, that's a thought.
Such fun, fun pictures. Looks like Jack had an awesome first Christmas. That last picture of him reading the book, he looks like Dad! Definitely a Morgan look. And Alicia, how about she does leave and she comes HERE?!
Post a Comment