Halloween is an interesting holiday with a toddler. Last year Shortstop was still not walking so we didn't do a ton of activities and trick or treating was not a big deal. He wore a costume but I picked it out last minute and he didn't really care about it. This year he has asked about the pumpkins, the skeletons, the costumes and all the other fun things he has seen that are new. It has been so great to watch him get excited. So we decided since there was no way I was making any type of costume and had no creativity energy that we would let him pick. He loves Peter Pan so I was sure he would pick a pirate costume I found. But next to it was a bright orange DJ Lance costume. Don't know who DJ Lance is? Well here you go but you are not missing out.
He is the main guy on Yo Gabba Gabba. Shortstop used to LOVE this tv show but hasn't watched it in a year so I could not believe that this is what he wanted to be. Knowing the personality of my child I knew he would fight wearing anything but I thought maybe it would go more smoothly if he had picked out his outfit. Mark and I didn't dress up, we rarely do, and that is ok with me. I wanted to find a nun outfit but never did...being a pregnant nun just seemed like a fun idea! Maybe another year.So we went to our ward party on Friday and didn't even attempt the fight that would be wearing a costume. He wore a cute Mickey Mouse skeleton shirt and that was enough for me. Then yesterday morning I started prepping him for what he would do that night. We weren't sure we would be going out due to the 103 temperature the night before but he woke up feeling great and had no fever.
I explained again about trick or treating, we practiced saying it and saying thank you and I talked to him about wearing his costume. He has had it in his room for weeks and has known about it but he took one look and said "No way mom." I asked him why and he said he wanted to be a pirate. I was so frustrated! I told him that he had picked this and if he wanted candy he needed to wear a costume. So he started negotiating with me. "I will wear the pants. No shirt, no hat, no glasses." So I left it alone and brought it up later where he said "Maybe the shirt." Finally it came time to put it on. He was ticked! He hated the collar so I cut an inch off, he hated the pants, he refused the glasses and the hat was too small for his head. I bribed him with a cookie to let me take ONE picture with the glasses and he allowed that. But only one. Funny kid with his own personality and his own opinions!! Once it was on though, he was fine.
Best. Picture. Ever.
The Brobee backpack we got when we took him to their concert last year completed the ensemble!
Skyping with Nana and Aunt Allis before we headed out
See how small the hat is!?
Love that Mark wore the glasses for a bit
Action shots
Cutest face ever!
We went to the University Mall first to trick or treat but will not be doing that again! It was so crowded so we left soon after we got there. Shortstop is like me and gets overwhelmed with crowds and even a bit fussy. So we headed to a random street and started trick or treating. It was perfect and Shortstop LOVED it. He had so much fun holding his dad's hand and saying "Trick or treat" at every door. And I was so proud of him because after each piece of candy was dropped in his bucket he said "Thank you! Happy Halloween!" I am kicking myself for not getting video of it. The skeletons and other decorations never scared him and he was social with everyone.
When we got home he was very excited to go to bed and fell right asleep. We only had three trick or treaters stop by so Mark and I watched a movie. We don't own scary movies so we watched GhostTown to keep in the spirit of ghosts and Halloween. All in all it was a low key but great Halloween!











3 comments:
He looks so stinking cute. I haven't looked at your blog for some time. Since my computer exploded, I haven't done anything other than work when I get on a computer. So many cute posts, it was fun to look at them all. Jack is the cutest little guy ever! I miss him and can't wait to meet his little brother.
Jack is ADORABLE. I love the first picture of him.
He is so cute! Love that he got so into it. We miss that little guy!
Post a Comment