- He is so smart and so fun plus he has recently taken a huge interest in helping out around the house as much as he can. I am learning patience as I let him pick out his own clothes, click the car seat on his own, and wipe the table after eating. While it would be so much easier for me to just do it all, I know it is important to back off and let go of that control. Plus it is fun to watch his little mind work and figure out solutions.
- The picking out his own clothes thing is almost a fight though. He is so particular and hates rolled sleeves or pants that are too long, too short or that don't fit around his waist properly. Collars bother him. He does not like new shoes unless he had a hand in picking them out and trying them on. His socks have to be just so and if he has no shoes on he wants nothing to do with socks. After dressing him in an outfit the other day he just sobbed but wouldn't tell me what was wrong. A few minutes later he stumbled in my room, shoulders slumped and whimpered "Mom, please don't make me wear this shirt...I wanted a red one." Of course I obliged and we talked about how he could have just asked me while I was dressing him. Funny kid!
- Still loves reading like I have never seen. His quiet time usually consists of him reading to his stuffed animals for the entire time.
- He wants to know what every word he sees says, (store signs, shampoo labels, etc...) what every new item he encounters is, the band and title of every song and so much more. I love 99.5 in the car because they tell me the song and title because saying "I don't know" is not an option.
- "Cause why?" is his newest phrase and I allow a maximum of 4 "cause why's" per thing I say. Then I try to calmly explain that that is the end of the conversation. He does ok with that and never gets mad.
- He adores his dad and is about the most loving child to everyone around him. If I even look distressed or tired he asks "Mom, what is wrong?" or "Are you sad?" or "Is baby kicking and hurting you?" Then he hugs me and says "I just love you so much."
- I made a little thankful tree where we write what we are thankful for each day on paper leaves and tape them up on the wall. It has been a lot of fun. We ask him and he tells us so we can write it down but then he wants to try and write his own. He gets down on the floor with his pen and leaf and says "Thankful for..." and then says something as he doodles.
- He is our alarm clock by coming in the room and whispering once "Mom and dad..wake up." If we don't respond he then says much more loudly "Mom and dad...time to wake up!" Then he crawls into bed with us for as long as we all have time to snuggle (or sleep a little longer) and I let him watch one or two Disney junior cartoons depending on how early/late it is.
- He loves primary songs and telling anyone who will listen that "Jesus loves you!" I taught him "I hope they call me on a mission" recently and he said "I am ready to go on a mission." Oh son...let me have you for just a few more years but then yes, please serve a mission!
- He likes to talk about pirates and Disneyland and football just as much as ever. Basketball is creeping its way into conversations though since his first game the other night.
- He knows words to songs that he hears once or twice. Today while he was reading I overheard him singing "Despicable Me" which is also his favorite movie.
- His dance moves are impressive!
- His facial expressions rival any adult comedian.
- He does not nap anymore, unless exhausted or sick, but he really enjoys quiet time. No naps means no more fussy boy at night before dinner and he sleeps longer and better so no complaints here. I get my quiet time still and life is happier.
- He FINALLY loves to color. It is so great and I have been trying to get him interested in it forever. Even in nursery he didn't want to. But suddenly that is all he wants to do and it helps so much to have him occupied doing something he enjoys and can do on his own. (He still has to have me draw a football or a Cosmo paw print on every paper before he starts).
- He does a great pout and slink off move when he is put out. So great that I have to hide my face in a pillow while laughing so he doesn't think I am not taking him seriously.
- He walked through snow for the first time this last weekend. Last winter he started walking in December and was still very unstable plus it was a very mild winter and I don't even remember snow on the ground so this is all new. He was a big fan of it but refuses to wear gloves and hats so he didn't stay out for very long.
- His memory astounds me. We went to the creamery today to get milk and he asked where Grandma and Grandpa were...months ago they took us there to get ice cream. He also loves to skype family so we enjoy when people want to and can do that. It is a hoot to watch he and his cousins interact on skype like little adults!
- We love to watch for dad out the window after work and Mark knows to sneak up to the window and "scare" Shortstop. Little moments, I tell ya. They make everything worth it.
- He is so logical and intelligent that we just talk to each other like friends. I tell him what the plan is for the day and ask his input on things. He then asks me questions and clarifies plans. He helps me remember things to get at the store. It is just an amazing stage that he is in!
Now for the fun part. Pictures! And they are just random so enjoy.
We have been fighting a nasty cold around here for a couple of weeks. This was the worst day for my little man. He refused to nap in his bed so fell asleep on my floor and would wake up, roll a little and fall back asleep. Poor buddy!
Just making sure his brother's toys and gear work well...
Poring over The Friend. I bought him his first copy and he loves looking through it and asking questions.
Pinterest inspired church activities. He enjoyed helping me make these "puzzles" as we talked about what each picture was and what they meant.
First basketball game with his dad. I guess we technically took him when he was like 6 months old but he hated loud noises back then so I left after a few minutes.
He was so anxious they got there 30 minutes before tip off.
Such a great pair
It was a huge hit! He loved seeing Cosmo and eating his popcorn. At halftime, while sitting on Mark's lap, Mark noticed he was really quiet. He looked down to see a sleepy little boy trying so hard to stay awake. They left soon after but I am sure Shortstop would have stayed the whole time.
And to end...this is what I am sitting next to right now. I started blogging and he climbed up on the couch next to me, laid his head on my arm, requested some music and then fell asleep. I laid him down so he could sleep a little better than on my arm. :)









2 comments:
What an adorable son you have been blessed with. And it is so clear to me that you have two loves of your life...soon to be 3.
Oh, Jack, what a fun little ball of energy. He is too cute!
Post a Comment