During the afternoon, Fullback stood on his bed to wave to me outside the window as I left to run some errands. I had the thought to stay and watch for a minute before I pulled away and I am glad I did. I watched him disappear and fall down and realized if he was hurt, Mark would not hear since he was in the shower. I ran upstairs to loud screams and quickly assessed to see if there were any broken bones. There was nothing wrong that I could see so after I consoled him, he laid down to take a nap. When he woke up though, he did not want to be put down, whimpered a lot and refused to use his right arm for anything. My sister and her family came down from Kaysville to enjoy dinner with us and I asked Melanie's opinion on what she thought. We knew he was in pain but could not figure out what it was. Dinner was fun and Fullback seemed ok, that is until we went to put on his costume. I took off his shirt, which lifted his arm and he let out a heart breaking scream. We realized he had either broken his collarbone or dislocated his shoulder. I started crying realizing just how much pain he must have been in all day. We got Shortstop dressed up to trick or treat and thankfully Melanie and Jim and their girls took him over to my other sister's neighborhood to trick or treat with all his cousins. Mark and I headed to the instacare with Fullback. When the doctor examined him, he cried again, non stop and would not walk at all. The doctor told us he would need x-rays and of course I could not go in with him, being pregnant and all. I am so grateful Mark was there. When they came back, Fullback was surprisingly calm and seemed ok. I asked Mark about it and as we were talking, Fullback used his arm to pick up his blanket, walked across the room and said "We can go home now." We were shocked and the doctor walked in saying nothing was broken and he didn't know what it was but then also was shocked at how normal he was acting. We headed home and as Mark relayed the story, we realized that one of the four positions Mark had to place his arms in for the x-rays popped his shoulder back into place! Poor little guy! He still guarded his arm all night and cried out every once in a while. We stayed on top of the pain with tylenol and ibuprofen and he was able to sleep through the night. He is able to run and play but he won't use his right arm fully and it has since started to bruise up nice and green. He doesn't complain though unless he gets bumped or falls on it. He is one tough kid!
He was sad about missing trick or treating but his awesome older brother gave him half of his haul which helped ease the sadness. Once we came back from instacare, Melanie brought Shortstop home and we watched Toy Story of Terror and had fun sitting around visiting while the boys played with their cousins. And Monday, Fullback wanted to be Calvin so he also got to wear his costume. All in all, things worked out pretty ok. I am so grateful things were not worse than a dislocated shoulders and that my sister was able to take Shortstop out. Lots of answered prayers that evening!
Nametags drawn in the same font as the book title
Worms in dirt
Ghosts
Witches fingers
The spread
Pumpkin juice
Goblins' guts
Skeleton bones
Hobbes...very excited to go trick or treating. As thankful as I am he was able to go with family, I was still super emotional sending him on his way. I love taking my kids door to door and missing out on that was very difficult for this emotional pregnant lady.
Waiting in the instacare...he loves his dad
Getting to wear his costume a few days late
The bruise...yowzah!












No comments:
Post a Comment