Saturday, September 21, 2013

My nose is stuffed up...

so I can't sleep.  And I feel like blogging.  Isn't that the cure for the common cold?  Who needs oj and rest...I have Drop Dead Diva and blogging.

Who knows how much sense this post will make but I feel like journaling a tad of what the last 8 weeks have been like in the Elkington home.  In no way should this be taken as complaining.  Ok...maybe a little.  But for reals, this is more to just capture  my thoughts.

8 weeks ago Fullback caught a little cold.  Just a slight runny nose.  Nothing major.  Fast forward to today and every day for the last 8 weeks at least one person in this house has been sick.  No sickness was major...but pile them one on top of the other and I feel like my non stop crying the other day and binge eating Famous Amos cookies with Dirty Dr. Pepper was totally justified.  (Have you had a Dirty Coke or Dirty Dr. Pepper yet?  No?! Go to the nearest Maverik gas station, follow the instructions on the fountain drinks and thank me later...I am serious!)

Someone in this house, mostly my two sweet babies,  has suffered from a runny nose, light cough, deep gasping chest cough, fevers- oh so many fevers, flu including throwing up and diarrhea, pink eye, full body rash, ear infections (4- all Fullback and all oozing...blech!), food poisoning, growing pains and leg aches, migraines, sore throat and swollen glands, and...I think that is it.  Each individual illness is so normal and manageable.  But as I stated...it was the one after another that just became unbelievable.

On top of this we have also dealt with disappointments at work (those got worked out), Mark was in a car accident (minor, no one was hurt, and now I get to drive a mini van for a week while our car gets fixed which has been fun and awesome!), an email letting us know the owners of our condo want us to move in three months so they can move back in ("But Jacque...don't you have a year contract?"  Why yes, yes I do...we will see what happens with this one, still waiting), a cancelled anniversary weekend away due to illness (bags were packed, parents were excited for us to come visit Twin Falls so we could go out on a real live date, boys woke up with more fevers and pink eye), birthday extravaganza that Mark has been planning for weeks cancelled due to fear of illness and spreading it to others (this year was to make up for my 30th last year cause I was bed ridden with pregnancy and non stop throwing up...haha the irony- I WILL be celebrating my half birthday this year to make up for both birthdays...so let it be known!), a missed day out with my siblings who were ALL in town for a party for my oldest sisters' nursing graduation, family trips to the zoo, seven peaks and even the grocery store cancelled because someone started throwing up each time we tried walking out the front door, and not getting to attend church as a whole family in 2 months (we get to take turns each Sunday...crossing my fingers that this Sunday, my birthday, we are all there together).  So needless to say my little house has not had the best of luck.  But as we round the corner of another illness with high hopes this is it and we are getting better, I have learned a few things.

  • Praying for good things, like a desire to go to church together or that the boys will get some sleep, is good, but submitting "Thy will be done" is better...something I am learning and will continue to learn
  • The kindness of friends and neighbors is never ending
  • Accepting help is never easy
  • Talking to sisters and mom(s) (mom and mother-in-law) is always helpful
  • Crying is very healthy
  • Laughing is even healthier- but crying is still easier
  • Life can get worse when you think it can't and of course on the flip side...life is always able to get better
  • Not knowing when the last time you showered AND got ready in the same day can be an all too common occurrence- I am saving so much money on things like make up, deodorant and shampoo
  • The relief of hearing the front door open, your husband walk in and immediately build a fort with  your kids so you can lay down and take a nap is priceless
  • Picking fights just because you can't really be mad at your sick children is a lot easier when your husband understands that is what you are doing- but doesn't let on so you don't feel like he is being condescending- and he lets you be...difficult- and loves you anyway- and still brings you a cold rag for your head while you nap and you wake up to ice cream waiting for you- even though you were a brat- and he never admits to knowing exactly what you were doing- and forgives you without you having to say you are sorry
  • 3 year olds have so much wisdom and love and an understanding of the simplicity of the gospel.  Never dismiss the logic of a child
  • The priesthood is amazing and I am so grateful to be married to a worthy priesthood holder
  • Guilt is a word I wish I could get out of my personal dictionary- cartoons and TV were invented for months like these and guess what?  Shortstop is still a happy, smart, funny boy and his brain has not been fried
  • The power of snuggling, whether with your baby or your hubby, should never be forgotten
  • Husbands carry a lot more weight on their shoulders than they let on sometimes...and it is easy to forget that as a stay-at-home mom and get caught in the woe is me.  Mark, I love you so much...more than I can ever say.  You. Amaze. Me. 
  • There are days that can be summed up in one word when asked what you did that day..."wiping"
    • Bums, noses, spills, spit up, throw up, tears
  • When you haven't been around adults for a while...you really talk a lot and dominate conversations whether on the phone or in person...sorry to anyone who has been the lucky recipient of that lately
  • Humility can always be learned...over and over and over again
  • Mother's intuition can be just as good as a doctor's diagnosis
  • This life is a test
My motto lately can be summed up from a clip from Finding Nemo...


And you know what?  "Swimming" has many levels.  Sometimes you are in the deep end, under water, head covered and just trying to hold your breath until you can get some air.  The shore is NOWHERE in sight.  Other times you are wading in the deep or even shallow end.  You have your head out of the water but barely...you can see the shore but can't get to it.  And other times you are splashing in two inches of water...you aren't completely dry and tanning on the beach but you have solid footing and know you can get out of the water at any moment with minimal effort.  But in all three circumstances you are "swimming" to make it through.  

So my blinds have been shut, my sweats have been worn...a lot..., my dishes have piled up and my meals have been questionable at best...oh so much take out and leftovers.  But guess what, even though I may not have done it perfectly, I obviously kept swimming...cause I am still here.  And I plan to keep swimming, and sputtering, and attempting to be real.  Cause when all is said and done, I have the coolest sons in the world and the absolute most incredible (and hot) husband around.  And we are a forever family.  And little else matters.  (Even though it can still be hard and that does not have to be ignored...keep it real people!) So good luck out there...and I am sorry if your life has been rough lately. Get off your own back, give yourself a break and remember you are doing a much better job at whatever role in life you have than you give yourself credit.  

2 comments:

Penny said...

Hopefully the sicknesses go away soon and everyone will be healthy for the winter because you deserve it!

Megan said...

I'm sorry. 2 months is an extremely long time to have to handle all of that. Way to keep swimming. I did have to laugh a little when I realized I was clicking on a link that was titled what this is titled. I hope you get better and the boys get better. I understand how amazing a great husband can be. And I believe that he is just as lucky to have you as you are to have him..