Thursday, February 2, 2012

Saturdays should be spent like this...

Have you ever met someone and you were immediately impressed with them? For no reason, you just liked them? But then you get to know them and realize how truly awesome they are? That would be my friend Chrissy. When we moved into this ward she was so sweet and so friendly and invited me to join her mommy school group. We have a lot in common (her oldest is the same age as Shortstop, we both met our husbands on our missions, etc). And then through her I met the rest of the awesome women in the ward who I am lucky enough to call friends. So I was not surprised when I found out she wanted to put together a Sisters' Conference just because. Nothing to do with her calling she just wanted to get together and be spiritually uplifted. I mean, who does that?

So last Saturday about 8 women met at her house. She had folders for everyone and each of us had been given an assignment.
We shared favorite quotes, books we enjoy, read scriptures, listened to an uplifting song, had a lesson on self worth, made earrings...aren't they cute!
enjoyed dessert, shared meal recipes and got fashion tips. The women in my ward are so talented so it was not a stretch to find people with each of these skills. I got to do the lesson and you know how they say the lesson is usually for the teacher? I found that to be very much the case and I really enjoyed studying the topic and then being able to share what I felt and learned. Too often this world puts down the title of "woman" or "mother" or "wife" and that is just not ok! So we discussed how important these roles are and to not let the world in with negative thoughts. I also got to do the dessert and made crepes with some of my sisters' recipes. We had a lemon butter sugar one, a nutella and banana one and an almond filled raspberry one. Thanks Alicia for helping me look good! They were a hit.

I came home so invigorated. Mark let me go through the whole folder and all the handouts telling him every thing that happened. He held my hand as I got teary eyed and even got choked up a tiny bit as I shared feelings I had and new revelations and thoughts that came to me throughout the morning. I am so grateful he pushes me to go out and do things like this and is willing and happy to keep Shortstop the whole time. I always find a reason not to branch out with new people (without even meaning to) and he is there to kindly explain what I am doing. Such a good man! We each need days that are this uplifting we can't help but be filled with gratitude and joy the rest of the day. I wish more of my Saturdays were spent like this! Thank you Chrissy....can't wait for the next one.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Wow Jacque! Not only am I glad that you have found amazing women to befriend, this day sounds absolutely amazing! And I loved the last paragraph in talking about how you were able to sit down and share everything with Mark. Aren't husbands wonderful?

.Chrissy said...

Oh my goodness, I totally started crying when I read this! I just love you!!! Mark really is so good for you!! You really were amazing!! You are one of the best teachers I have ever seen! You give lessons and talks EXACTLY the way the Lord would want you to!!! I love you!

Alicia said...

That is awesome, what a great idea and so glad it worked so well.