Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thanksgiving

I will have you know, that as I do this blog post I am definitely blasting the Christmas music throughout the house. Just thought I should clear that up. :)

What a great Thanksgiving we had at my parents' house. I LOVE going home, but especially around the holidays. My mom decorates the house so well and I love seeing decorations she has had since I was little. I really love her seasonal paintings that she brings out...and where did she get them you might ask? Oh...she painted them!
The other thing I love are the smells of Thanksgiving. Cinnamon and cloves, turkey, oranges, rolls and so many other things. And no one makes Thanksgiving dinner like my mom and sister Alicia. Her sweet potato dish this year was the BEST thing I have ever tasted. But I can't talk about it anymore because my mouth is watering.
We were able to be there from Tuesday to Sunday and it went so fast! The boys did their turkey bowl (Mark got some great bruises), the women cooked, football competed with the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, and the kids just had a great time playing and entertaining Shortstop.
My niece Elise going through all the family photos and telling Shortstop who everyone is

After dinner we went on a family walk...I love how bundled this boy is and he just sat there not wanting to move after we came home.
My mom and sister and I did some shopping on Friday, no not at 4 am...just casual shopping during the day. I am not one to wait in line with crowds of people wanting a good deal...not to say there is anything wrong with that, I just get anxious in airports and big crowds.
I loved having Mark around every day and it was hard to say goodbye to him Monday morning as he headed to work. His little boy asked for him all day long and kept pointing at the door. Kind of broke my heart.
Tyler, Alicia, Mark and I were able to go on a date one night because my mom rocks and always offers to babysit. We loved hanging out with them and wish we lived closer!
On Saturday my sister helped me be crafty and all homemakey. I love crafts, I really do, but I don't really do them because I am a perfectionist and kind of hard on myself when I mess up. But after much kicking, protesting, and crying (not too much of an exaggeration), I was able to make Christmas stockings for my little family. Every year we just use our parent's extra ones because I have never been able to find ones I love to buy. So Alicia helped me make these. I even did the hand embroidered names, thank you very much. I think they turned out great!

I have so much to be thankful for but at the top of my list are these two guys.

I can't get enough of them so it is a good thing we are an eternal family! Shortstop is growing up so fast but I love every second I get to be with him. He is my little friend and makes me laugh at least 5 times a day. And Mark, what can I say. Was there ever a more loving, patient, funny husband? I don't think so. He amazes me each day and I truly look up to him and lean on him for so much guidance, advice and support. Life is such a blessing and no matter the stresses that come into my life, I know who I am and have a phenomenal family by my side.

We came home Sunday night and the next day we decorated for Christmas. I love doing that! We turned on A Muppet Christmas Carol after Family Home Evening and decorated. My last apartment was very small so I still need a lot more decorations to fill this place but I won't have a problem buying more! A new thing we started this year are our Christmas Elves. We have two, a boy and a girl and every night they move around the house and do silly things that Shortstop and I discover together each morning. He giggles so hard when we find the weird things they have done. The pranks they pull will only get crazier as Christmas gets closer! And we hope they report back to Santa that we have been good this year!
Just riding a reindeer

Having some of Shortstop's juice

6 comments:

Rachel Durazzani said...

Makes me SO excited to come home for the holidays. Yay!

Rachel Durazzani said...

PS: Love your elves!!!!

Megan said...

Sounds like a great holiday and some great traditions for the next one! Way to be crafty too. Those are very adorable stockings.

Allison Elkington said...

oh, mark is so much like dad. :)

Julene said...

What a cute tradition with the Christmas Elves! Be sure to take lots of pictures. I want to see their crazy pranks, too!

.Chrissy said...

I am glad you guys had such a good time! your stockings turned out really cute!!