Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas in Seattle

This year we were able to go to Mark's parents' for Christmas. I really think I love the Pacific Northwest. The gray weather and drizzly rainy days are calming and so relaxing. Every day is a hot cocoa and reading by the fire kind of day. In fact, Shortstop slept so well for naps and through the night and I think it has to do with how dark and cozy it is there. I did not take a ton of pictures but that is because we were having too much fun!

We started the holiday in Portland for Mark's little sister's wedding. She married a great guy named Jeff and we are excited to get to know him better. She looked beautiful and very happy. The next night was the ring ceremony and reception in Federal Way, Mark's home town. It was a party and a half! Shortstop had had it by that point so we missed out on the dancing and headed home but some of Mark's friends came with us so we were able to visit for a while. I have to give my little man props for how good he was. He threw up on the plane then had a fever all night in the hotel before the wedding and still let us get him dressed up and drag him around for pictures and meeting a bunch of people. Then the next night it was the same thing...sick a little and we dressed him up, took pictures and dragged him everywhere. He was a trooper!
Mark had to fly home the next day for work but Shortstop and I stayed at his parents'. He loved chasing the cats and saying hi to them, calling out for Nana the minute he woke up, and playing with Aunt Rae. He never tried to destroy the tree or open presents and was so well behaved in a new environment. We missed Mark a ton but my in-laws were very sweet and made sure we were comfortable. Shortstop even crawled into Grandpa's lap one night to enjoy a football game. And another night Bobby and Danny (Mark's best friends since he was a little) and Julene (Danny's wife) came over to keep me company and we had pizza and sat around talking. Love those people!

One of my Christmas presents from my MIL was a 90 minute hot stone massage. Oh. My. Goodness. It was much needed and uh-maze-ing. I kind of rolled out of the spa rather than walk. Thank you Mom Elkington!

Mark came back on the 22nd and we were so happy to see him. It was only four days but I really like my husband and don't do well when he is not around. Shortstop just stood and yelled and giggled in the middle of the floor when Mark walked in the house. He was so excited he didn't know what to do. I wish I would have gotten a video of it.

We shopped and ate at favorite places, Mark played in his annual Decatur Classic Urban Golf, and we relaxed and visited with friends and family. Urban golf is a game he and his friends made up and they play anytime they can get together. Kind of a fun tradition.

Christmas Eve consisted of Mom E reading Luke 2 while we acted it out, the Elkington Pageant/Talent show (Mark sang "Trouble with a Capital T" from Music Man...he knew every single word and it was perfect!), opening pjs and driving to Candy Cane Lane to see the lights. These houses go all out and I loved it! The weather was so perfect and mild the whole time we were there.

Christmas morning we enjoyed opening stockings before heading to church to hear Dad E give a talk in Sacrament meeting and then we came home, put pjs back on and dug into the gifts.

Shortstop was more interested in being fed by all the people than by opening gifts.
But he did love his Winnie the Pooh pillow pet, Toy Story indoor tent and all the books he got.

We kind of went overboard on him, even though we said we wouldn't. It is just so fun to shop for him! Mark and I loved our presents from each other and the family. We really are blessed!

Such a cute boy!

The next night the Elkington girls and Dad got all dressed up and went to the PNB Nutcracker in the city. Dad E takes his girls every year and the years we are there, I get to join in. I am the only daughter-in-law but they always include me in the sister/daughter traditions. The ballet was wonderful and we had great seats. Afterwards we enjoyed delicious burgers at a Seattle only joint, Dick's,

and discussed the finer points of the ballet, especially the Peacock. She is our favorite part!

The next day we packed up and flew home. We had presents waiting for us from my family and enjoyed opening those together. We were sad to say goodbye to everyone and Shortstop still asks for Nana throughout the day but we look forward to visiting up there again.


1 comment:

Rachel Durazzani said...

Another great post. You guys look FABULOUS all dressed up. Really beautiful!