Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Guess who is mobile?


Shortstop is such a smart little boy...and I know I am biased when I say that. But he is saying words, is very social, "talks" all the time and knows what he likes and doesn't like. So when he was not crawling at his one year appointment I was very concerned. The doctor said "how many steps has he taken" and when I said he wasn't even crawling yet let alone taking steps, her response was "Oh...(big pause) huh." She said maybe we should get him working with an early intervention program. What?! I was very distraught and cried on the drive home. I did not post it because it was hard to swallow. Every kid around him his age and younger was crawling and walking (and there a lot of kids around here ) and I was sick of people saying "He's not walking yet? Huh...well I am sure he is fine." Of course he is...I know that. So a physical therapist came to evaluate him. Did a ton of little tests for his eyesight, hearing, social skills, communication, fine motor and gross motor, etc...
The results came back and he is on track or ahead in everything...almost (He was way ahead on verbal and social skills and right on with everything else). His gross motor were pretty behind. The funny thing is, four days before the evaluation he started rolling all over, going into crawling position, sitting up from laying on his stomach or back and scooting on his bum. So when they came to evaluate I told them this and they said that was a good start. But the results still came back that he may need physical therapy for more gross motor skills.
Our first appointment with a PT to actually work with him is this coming Friday. Well, guess what he did today? Yep...crawled ALL OVER THE PLACE! Mark was trying to put Shortstop's pants on after changing him and he crawled away. Mark said "Honey, I think he just crawled away from me!" We both started laughing and got teary eyed. Shortstop didn't 'attempt' to crawl...he actually crawled across the room. And fast too. I love it! So I guess he just didn't want to move until today. I have a son who knows what he wants and will not be pushed into anything. I have no idea where he got that from. It's not like I am stubborn or anything. :)

Enjoy the videos! Of course the first one is him crawling. He loves this little photo album Mark has of family and friends so Nana...this one's for you! He loves your picture.

This one is just cute and has nothing to do with crawling. He loves to play peek-a-boo and says "buh" as boo.

6 comments:

Allison Elkington said...

what a good boy! :) i love playing peek-a-boo with that kid!

Becca Bird said...

Yeah! I'm so glad he's crawling:) He is way cute!

Rachel Durazzani said...

Yahoo! Such cute videos. I knew he could do it. He was being nice to you because now life gets...interesting! :)

Katie said...

It's okay! Maybe he's just a very content baby! Lyla didn't crawl until 11 months and she's perfect. So is Jackson!!

Jen @ Love, the Arthurs said...

I hate how people compare babies to other babies. I understand there is a "general timeline" but every baby really is so different. Taelie crawled ON her 11 month birthday and we got that "she's not crawling yet? ....huh" thing ALL the time. So frustrating. And then she crawled for 4, almost 5 months, so she walked right before she turned 16 months. Our nephew walked at 18 months. And they are both FINE. Tae was/is an observer (like it sounds like Shortstop is). She watched until she knew how to do it and then just did it. Just like Shortstop. Sorry for the novel.... :)Shortstop is so adorable though, seriously. I could just eat him up!

paulak said...

Cute stuff...Kya didn't walk until she was 16 months old. She could, holding our hands, but she just didn't feel the need to. She really didn't crawl either...she could, just didn't feel the need to. haha Sounds like your friend Jennifer said it right...some just watch and learn, others have to do it with trial and error.