Monday, June 27, 2011

A day at the zoo and a dip in the pool

Saturday was a gorgeous day so Mark and I decided to make the most of it. We packed up the boy and headed to the Hogle Zoo. It was not as crowded as I thought it would be on a Saturday which was very nice. And although it was warm, it wasn't miserable. Shortstop loves being outside and had such a great time looking at all the animals. His favorite were the monkeys. He kept leaning forward trying to get out of the stroller to play with them. It was so great to see him get so excited about stuff and know that it is different than every day surroundings.

Every time I tried to take a picture he would giggle and look at me but I still love this pic!
We met up with my sister and two of her kids which is always fun to see them and talk to Melanie. Plus they love their little cousin so it is a win win.

Alyssa, Shortstop and Jenna trying to stay cool in the shade

We got to see Dari, the oldest elephant in North America, eat her birthday cake. It was too crowded to get a good picture but Shortstop just giggled watching her pick up boxes painted like presents and toss them around. Her cake was made of hay, peanut butter, yams, and grapes. Kind of neat to be there for it.

Hanging out with dad on a cool statue

So tired!

And I have to include a picture of my favorite animal. Giraffes are so majestic and graceful!

After the zoo we went to Melanie's for burgers and a dip in their above ground pool. Mom and tots swim lessons do not start until July 11th so this was Shortstop's first time in a pool. To say he LOVED it is an understatement.

My handsome boys!

Saying hi to mom and showing off skills

He could not stop giggling and kept trying to swim on his own. And even when he would get a nose or mouth full of water, he would catch his breath and laugh. It was so great to watch him enjoy it.

Also, Melanie has a new puppy and Shortstop was intrigued by him. They have a kiddie door to keep the dog out of the living room and with him being a new puppy it was nice for Shortstop to enjoy him at a safe distance.

Staring each other down and trying to figure each other out
He kept sticking his fingers through the gate, Biscuit would lick or nip at them and he would laugh. I am not a big animal person but I am trying really hard not to project that onto my son so that he can experience all types of animals and pets and decide for himself if he likes them. Thanks Melanie for letting us come over and play!

I love summertime and it is so fun to experience all these summer things with a one year old. You forget how neat the zoo or swimming really is until you see someone else enjoy it for the first time. It is great to be a mom!

6 comments:

Rachel Durazzani said...

Total jealous of this whole day. The zoo. Hanging out with Melanie. Swimming in her pool. Awesome. And I laughed out loud at the video. Hilarious. He is SO cute. I miss him. Bring him back!

Jen @ Love, the Arthurs said...

That sounds like so much fun! I can't wait to take my kids to the zoo this year, like you said, it's so fun to experience it through their eyes! And I cannot get over how cute shortstop is! Seriously!

Ashley said...

What a fun day! That is awesome.

josanddev said...

Fun zoo time! And I love how all 4 of his limbs are flailing in the pool. So cute!

josanddev said...

It's Joslyn- not Devin

paulak said...

How fun! We still need to make a trip to Hogle Zoo sometime. What a fun little guy...can't wait to see him tomorrow night...I hear you are in Twin.