Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Come listen to a Prophet's voice

This weekend was General Conference for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I love the first weekends in April and October for this very reason. No matter how good life is or how smoothly things are going, or whether or not you are in the midst of a trial, it is always good to listen to our prophet, President Thomas S. Monson's, voice. And this conference is not limited to members of the LDS church..oh no! It is for the world. And President Monson is not the prophet for just the LDS church but the prophet for the World! But we do not worship him. He is the mouthpiece for God on the earth today. So if you missed it, have never heard of it, or are just curious, by all means, read the articles that were given as talks.
It was a new experience watching conference with a baby. I did not hear as many talks, I did not ever fall asleep on accident, but I did feel wonderful and felt the Spirit as topics were discussed and testimonies shared. I have heard a few people saying how upset they were at the "harshness" of some of the apostles words, that their timing was bad and that makes me sad. I think the time to speak on being faithful, diligent and righteous amidst the turmoil of the world is every day! Noah did not say "hey everyone, there might be some rain so if you want you can take a boat ride with me...no big deal though." He spoke with conviction for what he knew was right and for what he knew was being done wrong. Mark and I had a long talk about this and are grateful for words today that are not popular in the world's eyes, that help us be better and stronger and closer to the Savior. I am not trying to preach nor am I trying to say that I am perfect or that I have never wondered about certain things, but I do know that as we listen to a prophet's voice, as we pray and learn for ourselves whether or not he is called of God, that we will get an answer and know that what he speaks is from a loving Father in Heaven.

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend, with or without conference. I am glad to say mine was richly blessed because of conference and Mark and I are resolved to be better, serve more and love those around us, including ourselves*, more unconditionally.

*"It may seem odd to think of having a relationship with ourselves, but we do. Some people can’t get along with themselves. They criticize and belittle themselves all day long until they begin to hate themselves. …Walk in nature, watch a sunrise, enjoy God’s creations, ponder the truths of the restored gospel, and find out what they mean for you personally. Learn to see yourself as Heavenly Father sees you–as His precious daughter or son with divine potential."
-President Deiter F. Uchtdorf

3 comments:

Rachel Durazzani said...

Well said, Jacque. Well said. Thank you for your testimony. And I LOVE that quote. President Uchtdorf is a favorite around our house.

Alicia said...

I love conference weekend, so many great talks and it is just awesome to hear the messages the Savior wants us to hear.

Shauna said...

I was thinkin about your post the other day and so appreciating your views! Thanks for so eloquently sharing.