Saturday, August 1, 2015

How is he 5 years old?

Although almost impossible to believe, Jack is truly 5 years old on 5-10-15.  His birthday was super low key since we were at Disneyland the weekend before.  We drove back from California on his actual birthday which he was totally fine with.  He appreciated getting to choose the movies in the car and the special suckers we got for him from the Disneyland parks.  He even said "This is a great road trip birthday!"  We did cake and ice cream with family and presents the next day.

That is Jack in a nutshell...appreciative and conscientious of how everyone is feeling.  He always reassures me that even when he is mad or fussy, he still loves me.  He never wants anyone to be sad or hurt by his actions.  He is rambunctious and silly and loves to perform, even if he acts shy.  Lately he is all about drawing and making crafts, especially if he finds instructions on how to make something in The Friend.  When that magazine comes in the mail he absorbs every page and loves learning all about other kids and the gospel.  His testimony is astounding.  He prays all the time and tells me "Mom, I know Heavenly Father and Jesus love me. "  When I ask how he knows he answers "The way I feel and the creations I see."  Scripture time is something he looks forward to each night and loves to say "Now what do those scriptures mean?"  But more often than not he is the one trying to explain it to us.  

He loves his brother and gets annoyed with him as well.  He can't wait for the new baby to get here and has named "her" Honey or "him" Calvin (like Calvin and Hobbes).  That is bar far his favorite thing to read and he loves repeating the jokes he learns.  Books still keep him occupied more than anything else in the world.  Spending time with his dad or going to BYU are close seconds.  He is still working on learning how to ride a bike but gets super nervous to try it without training wheels.  

He cannot wait to start school in a couple of weeks but did tell me "The one thing I am sad about mom is that you won't be with me.  You promise you will pick me up every single day?"  My heart will go with him each morning and I am pretty sure I will hold my breath until he is back with me each day.  Love you so much Jack bug!  You are truly a bright light in this family and teach us so much.  Thank you for the constant hugs and kisses, the love notes and flowers you find in the yard, for holding my hand often and for still wanting me to carry you to bed sometimes.  I know those moments will be over soon so I will cherish them every single time.  You are kind and brave, thoughtful and witty, smart and humble.  These are all qualities I pray you keep always.  

 How old are you?

 Love this kid

 These boys are so handsome!!

 I kind of phoned in the cake this year.  Like I said, we got home the night before and he had said he wanted a Bolt cake...so I made the icing look like white dog hair and then just put some of the Bolt symbols on it.  Fortunately he loved it and that is all that matters!

 Since Jack was little he has gotten anxious and angry and emotional at the sound of the "Happy Birthday" song.  Sometimes he can contain it and just walks out of the room to be alone and other times it would cause a full on tantrum.  Not super fun when we would go to other kids' birthdays but he has been trying really hard to work on being ok with it.  He sat quietly while we sang to him (with his permission) and then grinned when it was over.  He gave me a thumbs up and whispered "I did it mom...I didn't cry at the song!"  I was very proud of him.


He got very spoiled this year...what with a trip to Disneyland AND presents but I love birthdays and can't help myself.  Happy birthday buddy!  Love you to the moon and back.

No comments: