We threw a Harry Potter themed party the weekend before his actual birthday. The invitations were rolled up pieces of burned parchment with all the information on them...pretty cute if I do say so myself. The boys showed up one by one and we had a blast playing pin the lightning on Harry, sorting into houses, letting the wands choose their owners, wingardium leviosa with the news wands and then of course snacks and cake and ice cream followed by presents. Seriously too much fun! And the kids went home with chocolate frogs, bertie botts beans and new wands. Shortstop was so grateful, felt so special and thanked me a million times over for throwing him the "best birthday ever!" Nana and Aunt Allis were in town which was a bonus and he loved all the attention.
His actual birthday he was sick but we tried to make the day special anyway. He got whatever meals he wanted, watched as much TV as he wanted (mostly because he was too sick to do anything else) and then we had crepes for dinner with Grandma and Grandpa in town. He requested a lemon bundt cake that evening and then we opened presents. We went simple on the presents since he got so many from friends the weekend before but he was sure excited about the beginner telescope we got him!
This kid though...he is incredible. So kind, so eager to serve and so quick to forgive and love. His testimony is truly astounding and fortunately he wrote it down recently which I have saved. Recently he sat and sobbed in my arms while I held him as he cried "I don't want to grow up...I don't want to get married...I only want to live with you. Please don't let me leave you mom." Broke my heart (but I also loved it). He tries so hard to be good that sometimes he is overly stressed which we are also working on. This year in school was leaps and bounds better than last. He has grown up so much and is so intelligent and logical when we discuss things. He loves all things space and is looking forward to starting karate this week. He wanted to take a break from team sports for a while which I think was a great idea. I am hoping karate will help quiet his mind and supply him the tools he needs for more confidence and less stress. This kid that made me a mom is growing up fast and I don't want to miss a second of it.


No comments:
Post a Comment