Thursday, October 9, 2014

Dear Shortstop

My dear sweet Shortstop,

I don't even know where to begin when it comes to talking about you.  You are truly an incredible and genius little boy.  You want so badly to be obedient and understand what Heavenly Father wants for you and sadly get down on yourself pretty hard when you make mistakes.  It is something we work on daily and I try to let you know that making mistakes is ok and a natural part of life but you still get frustrated so easily because your desire to be good is so strong.  It has opened the door for discussion about the Atonement which intrigues and fascinates you and for which I am grateful to explain to you and share my testimony.  Reading scriptures and saying prayers are things that come so naturally to you and I learn from you each day.  Your prayers are sincere, they are truly a conversation with your Father in Heaven.  To hear you pray that you can be kind and that our family can love and do good things touches my heart.  And you include things you are grateful for that we did that day or things you want to do the next day.  I have even seen you praying on your own at times and when I ask you about it you say "I was just a little sad so I thought I should pray and talk to Heavenly Father and Jesus.  They helped me."  You are an example not only to your little brother but to me and dad as well.

You still love to read and write.  You are reading books all on your own and I love when you write me notes and love letters.  You love to color and have even enjoyed it a little too much on my couch or on your carpet... but we worked though those rough moments.  Whenever we go anywhere I can count on you to tell me where the exit signs are, what the don't signs say and any other instruction signs.  You have a million questions a day, a million observations and a million things you want to learn more about.  I am just trying to keep up.

Everywhere you go, you make new friends.  You say hello and ask people "So, how is your day going?" or you comment on the weather or the activity.  It brings a smile to so many strangers and friends.  You have that gift.  You know how to help people feel good about themselves.  You encourage little kids on the playground and you cheer on bigger kids when they do something cool.

You make me laugh Shortstop, every single day.  You love so deeply and I hear "I love you mom" at least five times a day.  You tell me I am beautiful, super fun or the best, and that you are so happy I am your mom.  And every sentence ends with "honey" or "sweetheart".  After we put you in bed, almost half the time, you come back down to say "I think I forgot to tell you something" and then say how much you love us or say sorry for something you did that day, remind me that you want breakfast the next morning, and then charmingly ask "Can I keep you company so you aren't lonely?"  With a tilted head and your charming smile, who can resist.  I often let you cuddle up to me for a few minutes before you happily go back to bed.  You are a negotiator and a charmer.  There are no ifs and or buts about it.  You forgive quicker than anything and apologize just as quick.  You can't bear to see someone struggle and want to do everything in your power to make it right.

Your relationship with Fullback is something I hope continues the way it is.  You love each other, you protect each other and you make each other laugh.  Of course you have your brother moments of not sharing but not very often.  He looks up to you and wants to do everything you do which thankfully you think is adorable.  And you are a great person for him to aspire to be like.  You dance together, you read together, you hunt bugs outside together and you love to hug and kiss throughout the day.  You want to be the one to get Luke in the mornings or after nap so you rush to the door and open it saying "Hello my boy!  How are you?"  Then you ask me to get him out so you can play.  His eyes light up when he sees you.

We have talked a lot about school which you start next year.  You want to know about the school bus and whether or not I can stay with you.  How I wish I could!  I have one more year until the world gets a hold of you and I am trying my best to teach you how to be strong, to be kind, and to always choose the right.  You don't love doing things like itty bitty football and it concerns me that school will make you nervous.  But I know you will excel.  You will be so incredible and your heart will pull you through any hard things you have to face.  I hope the same for me.  I can't even think about it yet because it makes me cry.

Dancing and singing are a huge part of our days.  We always have the radio on and sometimes you have to interrupt lunch because you "just have to dance for a minute to the song."  At night after story and prayer you always want us to sing to you.  But funny enough, you don't love singing in church or with other people.  You will sing when I watch to record you but you won't sing with the family for Family Home Evening.  Still, I know you love music and that it is a part of you.

Our days are filled with drawing, playing outside, going on outings and reading.  You LOVE anything Disney, showing me "surprises" like drawings or lego creations, playing hide and seek and even helping me clean or cook.  Your favorite time of the day is probably when dad walks through the front door.  You give him a play by play of everything you did that day.  (Funny enough…you often tell on yourself when we ask you how your day was or primary…so keep that up!  We like to know!)  Sports are still a huge part of your play time and you still enjoy watching a football game on TV with dad.  You prefer to go to the BYU games in person but also enjoy watching them on ESPN.  You are trying to teach the BYU Cougar ways to your brother who is fast catching on.

Thank you for making me a mom.  Thank you for being my little friend and for keeping my life exciting.  A day does not go by that I don't count my blessings to have you as my son.  I hope I can be as good of a mom as you are a son.

Love,  Mom

No comments: