The boys were in heaven and loved the freedom and the dirt. Nights were rough but we found out they were rough because Fullback had hand, foot and mouth disease and we didn't know it. Shortstop had a bit of a fever as well but again, it seemed like maybe it was just the hot weather. Whoops! Thankfully we only infected one other nephew (so sorry Tyus!) but we were also pleased to note that maybe the boys will do really well camping when they aren't super sick without our knowledge! Guess we need to go again to test it. :)
Camp Cumorah is a church owned camp mostly used for Girls' Camps but since it was a holiday weekend, we were able to have the whole place and lodge to ourselves. There were separate camping sites, a pond for canoeing and fishing and swimming and a huge lodge for the activities and meals. The missionary couples that were assigned there were super nice and loved watching our family interact, commenting on how close we all are. And it is true. Every family, especially big families, have their typical spats and disagreements but I think my family is pretty amazing and pretty close. And no matter the differences we may have, when it comes down to it, we would all be there for one another in a heartbeat. I am so grateful I have 5 amazing older sisters who taught me so much throughout the years and continue to be my sounding board as I learn about motherhood and so forth. I am thrilled that I have a little brother who, although I tortured him while we were growing up, we are great friends. It is nice that he and I both served missions and have that bond. Each of my siblings' spouses add so much to the family and are truly a part of the Morgan clan. I love the title of Aunt and have a fun time watching my nieces and nephews grow and then interact with my own children. All of the grandkids were there expect Evan, the oldest, who is serving a mission. My parents started something incredible and sometimes I can see the glimmer in my mom and dad's eyes as they watch all of us running around chasing our kids, laughing about memories and making new ones. They are proud…and I think they have every reason to be. Wow! That was a heartfelt tangent. Now on to the pictures!!
You can almost see the pain in their faces with yet another matching picture :) They love it though and Shortstop often requests to match his little brother
"More selfies mom??" He has gotten so expressive and HILARIOUS recently
Shortstop became Jenna's little shadow and often asked where she was and if he could go sit by her…just a small crush
The Elkington scowl
I will hold his hand every second until he chooses to stop
One afternoon we went on a little adventure hike…just the four of us and it was really special. We saw bugs and rocks and sticks and everything was so exciting for my two littles that it made it exciting for Mark and me.
This BEASTLY thing landed IN my braid and I had to fish it out. It was the size of a 50 cent piece and freaked me out. (I reeked of nature the entire weekend! Too much fresh air! LOL)
Such a picturesque place
Canoeing with dad
Our new tent was perfect
Napping and sweating but there was probably more sweating than napping…poor buddy
Aunt Alicia showing Shortstop the butterfly that got trapped in mud…he had a million follow up questions
No idea what this move is but I love it!
"Ok…this time let's try Chopin rather than Rachmaninoff"
Another part of the campsite…lawn games and night sports happened here
The first night we put the boys down, we zipped up the tent, said goodnight and thought they had fallen asleep. So Mark and I walked around a VERY dark campsite holding hands, visiting family and just enjoying the beautiful night. I got a little antsy to head back to the tent but didn't know why. I was right in the middle of talking with a sister and suddenly stood up and said "Let's go back". It was odd but not urgent. As we walked back we saw a little walking around in the dark. We couldn't see which niece or nephew it was and just called out "Hi". To our shock…it was Shortstop. All alone. Walking up towards the woods where a bear had been killed the week before. He had decided to just take a walk and didn't think anything of it. Had we not been walking down right then, he would have passed all the tents and all the people unseen and been in the woods by himself. Scared me half to death! We had a long talk about not leaving the tent and staying with someone at all times. So the next day when he woke up from his nap, he still left the tent but just sat there…on the shoe tarp…waiting for us. Such an obedient boy.
Grandma…always has games, crafts or snacks. Love that woman!
So determined NOT to nap that he fell asleep like this
This was the view as we drove away…no filter at all. Just gorgeous!
Throughout the weekend we had crafts, lawn games, water fun, movie night, s'mores, a talent show, adventure walks and lots of visiting and resting. On the morning of the 4th we had a flag ceremony and then a tribute to my dad's service in the Army. The grandkids sang My Country Tis of thee and then we looked at some military pictures of my dad my sister had compiled and then listened to dad tell some stories. That man had amazing military experiences….I remember growing up knowing he couldn't really tell us what he was doing at work and even to this day he can't share some of the top secret stuff he worked on. Being an officer in the Army working with nuclear weapons is pretty boss!
The reunion was a huge success. Good food, great company and beautiful surroundings. Way to go Melanie!




















No comments:
Post a Comment