This last weekend was my family reunion and we decided to go to Yellowstone. It was awesome! And no there aren't pictures but I am proud of myself. I remembered my camera...I just forgot to take any pictures. :) We stayed in a huge cabin in Island Park and everyone but one sister was able to make it. That is a lot of Morgans! But the cousins get along so well and it was nice to visit and hang out. The food was great as every sibling was in charge of one meal and one snack. My family knows how to cook!
We went to Old Faithful, drove around Yellowstone National Park, played games, floated down a river, went fishing, played more games, did crafts and treasure hunts, had a talent show, and stayed up late talking. There was even a run in with a lake and countless leeches (I was home with a napping boy so I "missed out" on that. Gross right?!)
Shortstop was in heaven with all his cousins and loved chasing them around. He is at that age where he thinks he is one of the older kids but can't quite be left to play alone. So Mark and I were very tired chasing him each day. He was dirty and bruised and scraped up by bedtime each day and it was awesome. He did so well on the drive to and from and kept everyone entertained during the reunion with his "I am the most important person here" attitude. During the talent show my dad wanted to say a few words to everyone at the beginning and Shortstop kept interrupting him by talking about his books or BYU or just standing in the middle of the floor repeating everything Grandpa had to say. My child is not shy!
One of my favorite nights was our last one there. All the siblings and spouses stayed up late talking and reminiscing. The kids were in bed so we just sat and visited. I was 9 when my first brother in law married in and things have sure changed! We laughed and joked and even discussed serious things. I really have a great family and am so happy to see them when I can. I have one sister in Boston, another in Michigan and in a month another will be in New Hampshire so it does get harder to get together. People just keep getting further away so I really enjoy these times. Thanks mom and dad for being so wonderful and getting us together every two or three years!
And on another note, more for journaling purposes, I wanted to record the new things Shortstop has been saying. I feel like in the last three or four weeks he has just decided it is time to really talk and have conversations. He picks up on soooo many things that I don't even think about him picking up on.
- Says "Thank you mom/dad/whoever" after anyone gets him something. It is sweet and he does not need to be reminded or told to do it. He is also picking up on "You're welcome."
- Says "I'm sorry" when he means "excuse me". So if he scoots by someone or wants us to move he says "Sorry" and just smiles.
- Of course he still loves to talk about BYU, football, the Mariners and Cosmo
- One day he looked at me after I asked him if he wanted to eat and said "I don't think so" in a sing song voice. I had never heard that and I don't really say it. It is in perfect context too.
- "I love you" has become a daily thing for him. And today he added "I sure love you mom". I have the sweetest child!
- If I have to get Mark's attention in the other room or speak louder than normal he will ask "Mom, are you yelling?" and has to make sure I am not angry before he goes back to what he is doing.
- He has a very specific taste in music. Oftentimes I will be listening to a song in the car and he will say "No mom, I don't like it." And until I find the right song, he is not pleased.
- On the flip side, when he is enjoying food or a song or an activity he nods his head and says "Yes mom, I do like this!"
- Anytime someone gets up to go do something away from him he asks us to "Please stay here". He does not like to be alone for long.
- If someone coughs or sneezes or says ow, he gets right in your face and says "You ok?" then adds "Be happy!"
- When given a choice between two things he puts his finger on his chin and says "Hmmmm...let me think".
- In the car he often asks for me to hold him (if I am in the passenger seat). When I tell him I can't he says "Ok, hold my hand please?" No matter how uncomfortable is it for me to try and turn to do that, I do not give up on that moment.
- If he gets nervous (like an uncle chasing him or a cousin tickling him too much) he quickly waves in their face and says "Hi" over and over until they are interrupted from what they are doing. Great diversion.
- The other day after dinner he lifted his shirt and patted his full stomach and said "Hi baby!" Guess I am showing a bit more these days.
- He still loves babies and gets a cheesy grin whenever there is one around and goes up to give them a hug and a kiss. Then he giggles and says "Nice baby. So cute."
3 comments:
It was a great reunion, thanks for your hard work in the planning
I know where "I don't think so" comes from! It's Mark doing an impersonation of our Grandma Powers. It's one of her favorite phrases.
He is so cute!!! I miss that boy. And the reunion sounds almost perfect...our presence would have been perfection.
Post a Comment