Saturday, September 22, 2012

An anniversary, a hospital visit and a birthday

This is going to be a post mostly for journaling and also because there is not much else I can do but sit and type in bed at this moment.  But I will get to that later.

First part:  Anniversary
Last Saturday the 15th was Mark and my 6th anniversary.  6 years!  I love it!  We decided to have a low key day and no real presents because, well, we just got back from Disneyland and were feeling kind of spoiled.  But of course he broke the rules and got me roses and chocolates.  Like he said though, those aren't gifts, those are just obvious givens on an anniversary. :)  Love him!  That night we got dressed up and took Shortstop to my sister's house in Kaysville for my niece to babysit.  We wanted to go to a restaurant in Salt Lake so it made sense to have him up there so they didn't have to watch him as long as someone in Provo would have.  Mark researched awesome restaurants and came up with a surprise to go to a steakhouse called Christopher's.  Oh man!  It was soooo good.  I think he chose it because they serve Kobe beef and he really wanted to try that.  What a romantic evening by candlelight.  It was so nice just to catch up and visit... and flirt of course.  The restaurant gave us a complimentary creme brulee and then a $25 gift certificate as anniversary presents.  Nice right?  I am so going back there.
When we got back to my sister's we got to hear how cute Shortstop was...sometimes you need to get away from the 2 year old to realize how great they really are. :)  He entertained them and of course was in love with their dog.  My niece even spiked Shortstop's hair which was pretty cute.  We visited for a bit and headed home.  Pretty low key but so needed.

Second part:  Hospital visit
Anyone who knows me knows I was one of those annoying people who said how much they loved being pregnant.  And I do love it.  I don't know if it is because it took two years to get pregnant with Shortstop or what.  I was sick with him and had the normal non fun pregnancy "stuff" but I really enjoyed the experience.  This pregnancy has been a little harder but I have tried really hard to still enjoy the blessing it is.  First trimester was pretty much non stop throwing up.  It was not fun.  I didn't tell too many people because really, what can they do.  Or I downplayed it.  Second trimester was better but I was much more tired than I thought I should have been.  Third trimester has knocked me out cold!  And I mean that physically, emotionally and mentally...but mostly physically.  A few weeks ago I started feeling just blech.  Food caused a gag reflex no matter what it was, every time I ate I got sour stomach and drinking anything at all was a joke.  I knew I needed to try so I kept trying.  Every day I would make a goal to drink more water than the last but I couldn't without gagging.  The doctor was not too happy about me not gaining weight in six weeks but what could I do?  I told her I wasn't eating and I was honest but she said to just keep trying.  Well about a week ago I couldn't keep anything down...no way no how.  I was up every hour being sick in some form or another (you catch my drift) and it was obviously tiring.  It caught up to me to the point I could not really move.  Mark had to take a few days off this week to take care of Shortstop and to carry me from bed to bathroom.  Not fun.  Not fun at all.  I was hoping it would pass but I obviously was losing a lot of fluid.  We called the doctor and she sent me to the hospital to get an IV for dehydration.  They gave me one liter and said I would definitely have to pee right after.  Nope.  Not at all.  Well, that tells me this was some pretty severe dehydration.  I tried to see that one liter as a kick start and to just start over and try drinking.  But that night I was up every hour again just praying for some sleep after each time I was sick.  Poor Mark was so worried.  And again, I didn't really know what to ask people for help with.  I know I needed it but how do you ask someone to come over and take care of your son while you puke?  So I downplayed it...a lot.  Growing up with migraines (which a lot of people may not understand) you learn how to "function" while sick.  I wish I could learn how to swallow pride and accept/ask for help.  My mom might be coming into town next week if I don't start feeling better, more for Shortstop's sake than mine.  He is really missing his mom and having someone to play with.  So what comes in to play?  Guilt!  Don't you hate that word?  But anyway, that was my week leading up to...

Third part:  30th birthday
Today is my 30th.  My 30th birthday people!  Not one I was thrilled about but I LOVE birthdays.  Ask anyone.  So I had hoped to be better and I knew if anything could give me the will power to push through, it would be a day about ME. :)  But I wasn't better and I am not better.  And I am sad about that.  I have cried a little but I don't want to waste too much fluid on tears so I try not to. :)  I know Mark had a 2 hour prenatal massage appointment set up for me today but we had to cancel.  I will be cashing that in soon though, don't you worry.  Plus shopping, presents and dinner at Tucanos.  Since I don't think Tucanos is a great idea at the moment and I can't get out of bed for shopping I am choosing to celebrate on another day.  I won't make everyone else do it...just Mark and Shortstop.  He put away all the gifts and cards since I hadn't opened them and we will just pick a day I am feeling good and try again.  On that note though, my goodness I have felt loved today.  Facebook posts, texts, calls, fruit bouquets sent.  I am surrounded by so many great people.  So even though I am in bed and starting to get a little weak from sitting up so I will go lay down now, I have enjoyed part 1 of my birthday.  Thanks to everyone who knew I was sick and called to check in or offered to take Shortstop and thank you to everyone who has wished me a happy birthday.  I hear the 30's are great and we know it can only get better from here!

My last note...I am so grateful for my husband.  He has waited on me hand and foot and has never argued or complained or even acted put out.  This was a particularly stressful week at work, and he had to be home with me, but he was happy to do it.  He has run to the store for anything that sounded good, any medicine we could think of, gotten me cold rags and bowls in the middle of the night, and has been Mr. Mom to a tee.  He has cleaned up the house and dealt with a two year old who you can tell is struggling with the situation with mommy.  He has given me beautiful blessings and sat by the bed holding my hand when I didn't want to be alone.  I am in awe of the amount he can take on his shoulders and never complain or waiver in his never ending love.  And this in a week where BYU lost two games and they were both ridiculous. :)  So  big shout out to by far the best husband in the world a girl could ask for, healthy or sick.

5 comments:

.Chrissy said...

I am more sorry than you know that you have been this sick! Especially when there is overall nothing that you can do to make it better. I wish you would let people help you. : ) I wish I lived in Utah so Jack could come play. You do such a good job trying to do your best! You are a great example to others in that way! And I hear you, BYU losing makes everything just a little worse : ) Love you! My heart and prayers go out to you guys!

Megan said...

I wish I could help you too. My only advice would be your visiting teachers. Even if you don't have a great relationship with them, or you think they are too busy, call them and let them know what's going on. Have an idea of what you might need-like an extra person in the house a couple times in the day and see if they can help-or at least they can report it to the relief society presidency and perhaps something might occur. I hope you heal soon for everyone's sake.

Shauna said...

Boy Howdy lady! I love you & I would definitely watch your kid while you puke. As I am sure anyone that knows you would. You're fabulous! honest. And as a new mom of two, asking for help comes with the territory from here on out:) I stink at it but if your really in need it is okay. Hang in there and don't be afraid to push your doc. Sometimes they forget that if your not on the floor dying your not that sick.

Lauren said...

Oh how much you have been going through Jacque!! I'm glad our friend trip was in between sick spells... unless you were just putting on a happy face. It is so hard to be sick and still try to show a brave face to the world! I'm so sorry you've been so sick.

I hesitate to offer any advice, but have you asked your doc about anti-nausea drugs? You deserve some relief! Hope things get better soon!

The Swansons said...

Jacque! I'm so sorry to hear this! You didn't even mention it at our visit, and you looked great! I'm glad you have such support. I hope you feel better soon! I love yur 'belated' birthday idea.