Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Boston...take two

When Mark and I decided to go to Boston for our family vacation last May and visit my sister I thought "Man, I wonder when I will ever get to come back. Glad we could do it this one time." Then a couple of weeks ago the idea was proposed that I take Shortstop and go stay with Rachel while her husband was away on business. I jumped at the chance. It was the first time I could just go somewhere and not have to worry about vacation days and scheduling conflicts. I was sad to leave Mark but excited to go back.

The flights were awesome. Shortstop could not have been a better traveling buddy. He either slept, watched the iPad or read his books. He would get a little fussy but not for long enough to even remember. Everyone on the plane loved him, the big flirt! On the way to Boston I was blessed to sit by a good friend who helped a ton and then met another lady who specifically asked to sit by us so she could help and play with Shortstop. Tender mercies. I was very nervous to fly with him alone and know those people were answered prayers.

Mark and I had done so many touristy things during our last trip that I really was just looking forward to spending time with my sister and letting Shortstop get to know his cousins better. But being the awesome sis she is, we still did fun touristy things.

So here is our top ten list of what we did in order of occurence:

1. Watched Rachel run her Tufts 10k. 7500 women running through the streets of Boston. Wow! I had the three kids in the Boston Common park and we cheered her on like a rockstar. It was so neat to watch all these women move in a group as the starting gun went off. I got a little emotional as Firework by Katy Perry blasted through the park. Way to go Rachel!

2. Went to Rockport. Coolest and most quaint New England town. It was very picturesque and the lobster...I cannot describe to you the bliss I felt as I ate this lovely lobster. Man...I would fly back just for that!


Cute kids looking at the cute shops


Shortstop spent most of his time in the stroller but was very content


Mmmmm...so good!

3. Going to an animal farm. There is a very small animal farm in walking distance from Rachel's house. They have llamas, emus, goats, rabbits, peacocks, sheep and chickens. And the people are totally cool with kids coming and petting or feeding them. It was a nice day for a walk and so we went.
Love those sweet smiles!


4. The mall. Now I know you may be thinking "Really Jacque...the mall?" But it was a cool mall! The kids play area was the best thing I have ever seen. There was a miniature Green Monster wall with slide and a pirate ship and tree houses and room to just run and play. So great! We did stop at Target and this is the picture we took. Such cool carts! Not the easiest to navigate through the store but all the kids were in one place.

5. The city. We spent a whole day in the city walking up Beacon Hill, going by the Capitol, spending time in North End, seeing the waterfront and even making our way through Occupy and other protestors. At one point they blared "War, what is it good for." I looked around at the group we were weaving in and out of and at Rachel in her cute pink shirt and our three little ones and just laughed. I felt like it was the 60's and we were very out of place.

Ethan always made sure Shortstop knew what was going on. He would put his hand on his head or cheek and explain everything to him.

Protestors

A view of Beacon Hill. Love the Brownstones!

6. Driving around Concord and Lexington and seeing all the awesome and gorgeous historic sites. The homes there are amazing and I could not get enough of them! I thought I was taking so many pictures but I did not take enough...I never do!
This is what the drive home looked like most days. Poor kids! (I know his car seat is pink...he borrowed his cousin Hailey's so I did not have to pack it.)

7. Boston temple. I had not seen it and it is so beautiful. Some of Rachel's friends were there taking pictures too so we visited while the kids played. I love seeing temples in any city we go to, or so it seems. Such a blessing.
8. Mt Auburn cemetery. This is the oldest landscaped cemetery in the country! It was so historic, huge and beautiful.

9. Apple picking. Apple picking in New England people! Does it get any better? The kids were amazing and fun and so good at picking delicious apples. We took them off the tree and ate them...right there in the orchard. And they were the best apples I have ever tasted. Shortstop posed for a few great pictures so now I don't have to go get his 18 month pictures taken. Thanks Rachel! They also had hot apple cider and donuts to enjoy afterwards with hayrides and pumpkin patches. I kept looking around thinking "I love the Fall in New England!"

Could these three be any cuter!?
Shortstop telling them how to do the next pose

So excited to pick and eat an apple. He kept giggling!

Impromptu 18 month pictures. Love this one so much

10. Seeing my old house and the elementary school I went to. For those of you that don't know, I lived in Boston for a couple of years as a little girl. And as we drove by that house and drove down the street, lots of memories came flooding back. I remember punching a boy at the top of a slide at recess so he fell off because he pinched my bum and I was not ok with that. I remember playing in the leaves in front of the house with my best friend Katie and then going inside and making cookies. I remember walking to and from school since it was at the end of our street. I loved living there even as a little girl and it felt like home just driving by.

There you have it. The kids were awesome and got very close. Hailey would "babysit" Shortstop and Ethan made sure he shared his toys or snacks. Shortstop would just giggle whenever he touched Ethan's hair since it is a bit longer than his own. Rachel and I stayed up late talking or watching movies. I was happy to get back to Mark but it was sad to leave. The night before we left, Rachel told the kids we were leaving the next day. Without even taking a breath Ethan said "Nope. Baby Jack stays here. He can live with us." It brought tears to my eyes as did Hailey getting teary eyed at the airport. I love that Shortstop has such great cousins to become friends with.

The flight home was long, we were delayed in Chicago and Shortstop was again perfect. Slept both legs for the most part and we sat by great people. We got home at 1:00 am Salt Lake time so it felt like 3:00 but it did not matter because we were so happy to see Mark, waiting anxiously for us by the baggage claim. He even made us a welcome home sign complete with roses for me. We missed him. It is good to be back but we loved our time there. You should go...if you have never been, put it on your list of things to do!


1 comment:

Megan said...

Wow Jacque! What a great trip! I'm glad you took advantage of the chance! And those are some pretty great shots of Jack...but I had to stop for a moment and say "18 months already?!"